Today is Independence Day, the 4th of July. It is a federal holiday that celebrates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence in 1776. The Declaration of Independence announced the separation of the 13 colonies from Great Britain.
The legal separation of the 13 colonies from Great Britain, as a result of the American Revolution, actually occurred on July 2, 1776. After voting for independence, Congress turned to the Declaration, which was a statement that explained their decision.
Some interesting facts…….
- There are 31 places nationwide with “liberty” in their name.
- 11 places have “independence” in their name.
- 5 places have “freedom” in their name.
- 1 place is named “Patriot.”
- 5 places have “America” in their name.
- There is a 1 in 6 chance that the beef on your grill came from Texas.
- The potatoes in your potato salad probably came from Idaho or Washington.
- Your watermelons probably came from California, Texas, Florida, Georgia, Arizona or Indiana. Combined, they produce about 80% of watermelons sold.
- Those apples in your apple pie most likely came from Washington or New York which are the top 2 apple producing states.
- The value of fireworks imported from China is over $190 million.