Instead of spending SO much money on a bag of these in the grocery store and since I devour a whole bag in one sitting, I decided to try to make my own. Most recipes I found called for sugar but I figured there is enough sweetness in the apple so I only added cinnamon. They turned out GREAT. Even my 6 and 2 year old are eating them….skins included!
Here is what I did:
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, spray it with canola oil and preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Slice one apple (I used Red Delicious) horizontally as thin as you can get it. You can cut it using a knife or mandolin.
- Using a paring knife cut out the middle of the slices so they are free from any apple core and seeds. This allows the chips to be circular in shape. (You can cut the whole apple in half, core it and then have your chips halved and not circles.)
- Lay the pieces flat on the parchment paper sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake for 2-3 hours, depending on the thickness of the slices.
- These will last 3 days in an airtight container. You can make a double batch but will need another cookie sheet.